Module 3 – Songwriting and Arranging
- Composition in five broad stylistic genres: rock, jazz and blues, pop and dance, stage and film and experimental art-music fusions.
- Writing Chord Charts
- Writing Rhythm sections
- Scoring Strings
- Arranging Jazz and Blues covers
- Arranging horns and big band
- Digital Music arranging using the most current platforms
- Tailored Style Development
“Students should engage in real-world, practical workshops in which they demonstrate their knowledge through creativity and collaboration.”
This module is the practical application of musicianship skills learned in Module 2. In it you will develop skills in the art of composing and orchestrating arrangements in five broad stylistic genres: rock, jazz and blues, pop and dance, stage and film, and experimental art-music fusions.
Arranging for rock groups covers basics such as writing chord charts and lead sheets for rhythm sections. Arranging jazz and blues covers writing for horns from solo parts to big band section scores. Pop and dance arranging steps into the digital world and covers various industry standard software platforms and how to compose and arrange within these digital environments. Stage and film scoring covers writing for orchestral strings. Fusions and experimental forms of arranging blend elements of rock, jazz, blues, digital as well as classical art music techniques.